Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Columbus Day in Providence

Having a day's layover between Boston area dates, and that day being Columbus Day, I had a crazy notion that I'd like to spend it in America's most Italian city per capita (and, as it happens, my old town), Providence, Rhode Island. The Federal Hill section of Providence has an annual 3-day Festival in honor of the day. Myself and one of my oldest friends (and creative collaborators) Chris Fratiello, partook of the local cuisine, listened to the free music, and above all, people-watched, as you do get the characters in Providence. Am I in favor of picking a new hero to celebrate to honor Italian-American culture? Yes! Am I favor of an Indigenous People's Day? Yes! But right now, the Italian-American community still pegs their celebration to the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. I'm part Cherokee and Powhatan, btw, (very small parts), and until any such new holidays are forthcoming, I see no need to sequester myself in some smug Virtue Closet boycotting sausage and peppers. If the thought of these happy people enjoying themselves fills you with revulsion, feel free to move along.


Trinity Rep has a theatrical conservatory, which I attended 1986-1988. It's where I learned to do what I do, such as it is. 


































Back to where we began at Trinity Rep. It was originally the Majestic Vaudeville Theatre. Does that surprise you?
Next up: Boston vaudeville! 




Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home