Sunday, June 18, 2017

Coney Island Mermaid Parade 2017

Just a handful of photos from yesterday's Coney Island Mermaid Parade. I was working as staff liaison to the judges so I was there in another capacity besides the journalistic, and my phone isn't holding much of a charge these days but I did manage to snap a very few pix. It poured rain for hours during the check-in time, but it began to clear just in time for the parade to start

The reviewing stand. I was glad to see it completely full of judges once we got going, despite the initially horrible weather.


Parade gets under way with parade founder (and CIUSA founder/ artistic director) Dick Zigun leading the way with trusty bass drum. 


Parade King and Queen Chris Stein and Deborah Harry of Blondie are in the middle there somewhere. Luckily I got a chance at a better shot of them at the end of the parade.


"Trump". bribes are a big part of the tradition of the Mermaid Parade

"Clamilton"

"Wu Tang Clams" -- my educated guess is that they're from Staten Island

Debbie Harry and Chris Stein -- this is right behind the speaker's podium right after the parade.


Zigun directly following the "ocean unlocking ceremony" for the summer season. 


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home