Thursday, April 14, 2022

A Lower East Side Adventure

This little post is less about places (the usual justification for this blog) than people. I happened to be on the Lower East Side yesterday for an appointment, when I noticed a bunch of helicopters overhead. I immediately wondered if it had anything to do with the man who shot up the subway in Sunset Park yesterday, but then I dismissed the notion -- Astor Place (where I was at the time) is many miles away from deepest Brooklyn. I headed East to First Avenue (my appointment was at Theater for the New City) and just south of St Marks Place, noticed a whole cluster of newspeople and folks with cell phones mobbing someone on the sidewalk. It turned out that this was indeed related to the shooting. It turns out that a dude named Zack Tahhan saw the shooter (Frank James) in one of my usual neighborhood hangouts, the First Avenue McDonalds! He called it in to Crimestoppers and cops caught the guy near St Marks Place! I had in all innocence stumbled on to where all the action was that day! (In fact, unbeknownst to me, Zack was becoming a social media phenom even as I was snapping pix of him on the sidewalk, which I didn't learn until I get home hours later). Anyway, folks on the street were cheering him mightily! Anyway, the pix are below: 







I noticed the NYPD car with the perp in it, last of all! 





Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home